Truth: url parameters are key to unlocking mind-blowing insight.
You’ve heard it a thousand times from Avinash Kaushik and all the other heavy-hitters in the analytics space. So, what’s stopping you?
Excuse: url tagging is intimidating.
How do I choose what values to use? How do I add the parameters to my URLs? Don’t let these concerns stop you from getting your ‘tag’ on.
Remedy: I’m breakin’ it down like the Sugarhill Gang for you.
Everyone needs a little hand-holding every once and a while. My buddy, Christopher O’Donnell, and the good folks over at Performable analytics helped me throw together a quick video to walk you through the basics of campaign tagging.
Not everything in life is easy, but campaign tagging sure is.
Set aside a few minutes of time, and BAM!, you’ll be a campaign tagging pro.
There are five basic campaign parameters:
- Campaign (utm_campaign): marketing campaign name.
- Source (utm_source): marketing channel (email, social media, etc.)
- Medium (utm_medium): channel category (email list, facebook, twitter, etc.)
- Content (utm_content): most frequently used in cpc campaigns to note ad creative.
- Term (utm_term): most often used in cpc campaigns to describe search keyword.